Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I'm back!


I'm sure my dozens of readers have anxiously been awaiting my return to the world of blogging - I'm back!


For the past month or two I have been embarking on my next journey - the San Antonio Rock-n-Roll half marathon...yikes! After having such a great time at the Cap 10k I somehow got talked into running a half marathon on November 14. I've continued to run on a regular basis, but have not "upped" my mileage in a while. I've been stuck at about 4 miles 5 days a week.


But this weekend that will all change - I'm planning on running 9 miles with my running buddy Vanessa. This will be a stretch for me, as I've never run more than 6, but I think I'm ready to attempt this challenge.


Many of you have asked my what it is about running that has made me stick to it for the past year. The quick answer is that I've made some great friends and relationships doing it. Also, I thrive on setting a goal for myself and then finally seeing that goal accomplished. I've been so blessed to have friends, church family members, and neighbors who have been willing to wake up early and stay up late to run.


God has also given me the opportunity to spend some alone time with him in prayer in worship. He has reminded me that communicating with him does not have to be sitting in church or while I'm reading my Bible - but it can be a conversation. Sometimes I feel like I just need to unload my problems on someone and I'm so thankful I can "unload" all my burdens on the Lord and he will carry them for me - (Psalm 55:22) Give your burdens to the Lord and he will take care of you (NLT). I've never been much of a "nature" person, but I'm so thankful that I'm finally starting to realize how amazing and increadible this world we live in is. God's creation is so creative and yet so personal. I'm amazed that in how big this universe is that he cares about me...wow!


In summary, this whole running thing has been a blessing. I still struggle with wanting to sleep in or stop (and I do have my bad days), but I'm determined to work at this thing with my whole heart and complete this 1/2 marathon! (Col 3:23).


My running advice - Keep going. You can always go further than you think you can. If you want to quit - try running 5 more minutes. I've learned that if I'm getting tired or sore and want to quit, I try to push myself 5 more minutes and I'm usually good for at least that long. Also - take a running buddy...it makes the run fly by!


Your advice - I need your advice on some good running music to add to my ipod. I need some new music to keep me going on my long runs by myself.


Happy Running!




Lauren

1 comment:

  1. No advice, just want you to know how proud I am of you! You like great and I can also tell you're gonna continue to do wonderfully! Good luck with the training... you can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete